Selling Your Home
Increasing Your Home's Value
When you're preparing your house for sale, remember the importance of first impressions. The market isn't the only factor that influences whether you get your asking price. Appearance and overall condition play a major role. Here are some easy things you can do to make your home more appealing to buyers.
Before You List: First Impression Is A Lasting Impression!
Make your home memorable. Home buying is an emotional purchase, with buyers deciding in the first 30 seconds of seeing the home if it is the one.
1. Repair Now Before You List!a. Paint inside walls, outside windows, and fences. Replace the front door if it is damaged by the sun. Make sure your home is in good working order as even the smallest of details could negatively impact a potential buyer.
b. Re-caulk bathrooms, kitchen fixtures, and tile. Make sure the faucets flow and the lime deposits are removed. Replace seals (if needed) so that there are no leaky faucets.
c. Clean the yard. Rake the leaves and grass. Don't forget to put away the tools. If the yard is messy, potential buyers may think twice about wanting to see the inside. Remember collectibles to you may be junk to many.
d. Begin de-cluttering. Have a garage sale, rent a storage unit, and start packing. Don't forget the closets! You want potential buyers to see themselves in the home and they can't do that if all they see is your family. De-personalize by removing family photos and heirlooms. Remove and store items that are not part of the negotiation with the potential buyer.
e. Replace worn carpet. Tattered, stained carpet detracts from the overall feel of the home. Don't allow distractions to deter a potential buyer from wanting to see more.
f. Deodorize your pets. Smell is a very important sense and bad pet odors will drive your potential buyer away as they walk through the front door. Remove pets from the home and keep litter boxes clean and out of sight.
2. Find your documents: title, surveys, HOA documents, septic and well permits. *These documents are essential throughout the transaction.
3. Now call your favorite Berkshire Hathaway Home Services Taos Real Estate Broker!
Active Listing Readiness
It is estimated that more than half of all houses are sold before the buyers even get out of their cars. So stand across the street from your house and review its curb appeal.
- Sweep front walkway.
- Remove newspapers, bikes, and toys.
- Park extra cars away from the property.
- Trim the shrubs.
- Apply fresh, clean paint throughout.
- Clean windows and window coverings throughout.
- Keep plumbing and all appliances in working order.
- Maintain all sealants and caulking (window, tub, shower, sink, etc.) in good condition.
- Make sure roof and gutters are in good condition; no repairs needed.
- Mow the lawn more frequently and plant flowers.
- Keep pet areas clean.
- Kitchen and bathroom should shine.
- Quick once-over with the vacuum; carpets should be clean.
- Place fresh flowers in the main rooms.
- Put dishes away, unless setting a formal display for decoration.
- Make beds and put all clothes away.
- Open drapes and turn on lights for a brighter feel.
- Straighten closets.
- Put toys away.
- Turn off television.
- Play soft music on the radio/stereo.
- Keep pets out of the way and pet areas clean and odor-free.
- Secure jewelry, cash, prescription medication, and other valuables.
- Enhance the spaciousness of each room. Pack away collectibles to allow buyers to envision their own furnishings in the home.
- Potential buyers usually feel more comfortable if the owners are not present.
- If people unaccompanied by an agent request to see your property, please refer them to your Taos Real Estate agent for an appointment.
- Leave a number where you can be reached if you are leaving town, even for a weekend.